Smoked Salmon Tarama with Pita Chips
Smoked Salmon Appetizer Ingredients:
* 2 2/3 cups 3/4-inch cubes crustless country-style bread
* 1 cup whole milk
* 6 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon
* 1/3 cup chopped shallots
* 3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
* 3 garlic cloves
* 5 tablespoons olive oil plus more for frying pita
* 1/2 cup tarama (pale orange carp roe)
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill plus more for garnish
* 4 7- to 8-inch pita breads, each cut into 8 triangles
* 1 2-ounce jar salmon caviar
Smoked Salmon Appetizer Instructions:
Combine bread and milk in medium bowl. Let soak 5 minutes, tossing to moisten. Squeeze bread to release milk; reserve milk. Place bread in processor. Add next 4 ingredients; blend until smooth. With machine running, gradually add 5 tablespoons olive oil; transfer to medium bowl. Stir in tarama, 2 tablespoons dill, and enough reserved milk by tablespoonfuls to reach spreadable consistency. Season with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD: Can be made 6 hours ahead. Cover and chill.
Pour enough olive oil into large skillet to cover bottom. Heat oil over medium high heat. Add pita triangles and cook until light brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to paper towels and drain.
Place bowl of salmon tarama in center of platter. Garnish with salmon caviar and dill. Surround with pita chips and serve. more info Tarama is sold at many supermarkets and at specialty foods stores and Greek markets. Enjoy !